50 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day When You’re Single
And you know what? I’m not sad about it. There’s nothing wrong with being single.
I repeat: there is nothing wrong with being single.
And while I may not have a date for the big day, I’m still going to celebrate. Why not? I think of Valentine’s Day as a celebration of love. And I love myself.
So, this year, I’m my own Valentine.
In the spirit of the holiday, I’ve built up a list of ideas of things to do on Valentine’s Day when you’re single. Enjoy!
50 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day When You Are Single
- Give yourself a pedicure. Scrub at your calluses, moisturize and paint your toes. Really pamper those tootsies.
- Put on a fancy dress. You don’t need an excuse like having a date in order to wear something adorable.
- Hang out with your single friends. Get together and watch romantic movies.
- Have an anti-Valentine’s Day party. No couples allowed!
- Have a romantic movie marathon from the comfort of your home. Keep the Kleenex handy when you watch The Notebook—you’re gonna cry!
- Cook yourself a fancy, homemade dinner.
- Eat that dinner by candlelight.
- Buy yourself something nice. Been eyeing that new romance novel? Go get it!
- Take a luxurious bath. I’m talking candles, bath salts, music—the works!
- Go to the movies by yourself. Watch an action flick for some carnage if you don’t want to sit amidst the happy couples at a romance movie.
- Go for a hike at a park. Since it’s probably cold and snowy, bundle up.
- Take a camera with you so you can document your day.
- Do your makeup in pinks and reds to match the lovey-dovey day.
- Wear the brightest, reddest lipstick you can find. Valentine’s Day is the best day of the whole year for some red lipstick.
- Attend a local music concert. Jam out to your favorite bands or learn the songs to a group you never would have heard if you hadn’t gotten out there.
- Attend a single’s mixer. There are probably at least a few going on in your town. Who knows, you may not be single by the end of the night.
- Veg out and read women’s magazines.
- Give yourself a French manicure.
- Volunteer at a homeless shelter. Give out Valentine’s dinners to those in need.
- Visit an old folk’s home and hand out Valentine’s cards.
- Take your child/nephew/niece/grandkid to a kid’s movie. Give them some heart shaped candies and a Valentine.
- Take your parents out to eat. They may already have plans for dinner, but you can still treat them to lunch.
- Call an old friend. Time to catch up!
- Blog about it. Tell your blogging friends what you’re up to and how you’re feeling about being single on this romantic holiday.
- Take a no-Internet day. Stay away from the computer and your mobile Internet devices. Spend the time reading or going for a walk instead.
- Bake some cookies. Coat them in pink frosting and red decorative sugar. Promptly eat half.
- Give some Valentine’s cookies to your neighbors.
- Exercise. It gets your endorphins going almost as much as it would if you had a date.
- For that matter, eat some chocolate as well. It’ll also give you good feelings.
- Write up a list of things you love about yourself.
- Give yourself some flowers. After all, you’re your own Valentine.
- Do an arts and crafts project related to love. Paint some red and pink hearts or make a collage of your favorite things.
- Buy your best friend a Valentine, even if she isn’t single.
- Dye your food pink or red today with food coloring. Red milk. Pink eggs. Red Mac and Cheese. You name it.
- Put on some high heels. Even if you’re spending the night in, they’ll make you feel pretty.
- Bake a heart-shaped cake. Share it with your single friends.
- Ask out the boy you like. You may be single today, but you don’t have to be single tomorrow.
- Give your eyebrows some much-needed grooming.
- Do a face mask!
- Homemade pore strips, to the rescue.
- Start the 30 Day Ultimate Beauty Makeover.
- Bust out some yoga for relaxation.
- Say you’re sorry to anyone you’ve wronged recently.
- Smile. Smile all day long. Who care’s if you’re single? You can still be happy.
- Write a love poem to yourself.
- Send flowers to your crush. Sign it “From Your Secret Admirer.”
- Watch Secret Admirer with C. Thomas Howell. Very good movie! It also stars Rebecca from Full House when she was just a teen. And John Travolta’s wife.
- Attend a karate class and work out some of that tension.
- Pour yourself some pink champagne.
- Pour yourself some pink Sprite, if you’re alcohol-free.
I think I’ll definitely do some of these this year, including 1, 2, 5, 6, 44 and 50.
What are you doing for Valentine’s Day?